No matter how well made and high quality knife you are using, all knives lose their sharpness after a while, especially when they are used regularly. Depending upon your nature of use and the extent of use, the time period after which a knife becomes dull may vary but ultimately every knife does need some sharpening to get back its cutting edge.
The question here is, what’s the most convenient and the quickest as well as the most effective way of getting back that sharpness which makes cutting fun? Here it is also important to differentiate whether you want to ‘tune up’ a fairly sharp knife or you want to actually ‘sharpen’ a dull knife.
You would have noticed that a steel rod comes with most of the knife sets is used by most chefs before they start cutting. This is not sharpening; it is, in fact, tuning up because the thin edge of the sharp knives can turn due to excessive use. The steel rod helps simply helps straighten the turned edge.
However, if you would try to sharp an actually dull knife with this steel rod, it won’t be of any use. So what do you do for sharpening a truly dull knife then? Here, a variety of knife sharpeners come to play which are not meant to just straighten the edge, rather they cut off the metal from your knife and bring the edges back to 20 degree angle from both sides.
Best Electric Knife Sharpeners with Reviews
You can rely on any of the options available in the market as knife sharpeners. It totally depends on your budget and the effort you can put in. instead of getting it done by a professional and paying him for sharpening, or getting it sharpened with the help of a whetstone, the best, most economical and most convenient way is to buy a sharpening tool and keep it in your kitchen to be used every time you need to sharpen your dull knife. However, here too, you would have to choose from a variety of tools that can be bought from the market. You can either go for a manual knife sharpener or an electric knife sharpener. However, the electric knife sharpeners deliver far better performance than the manual ones. To help you understand how both these categories differ, let us compare different types of commonly used knife sharpeners.
Types of Knife Sharpeners
Before we can decide which sharpener is the best for your knives, it is important to have an acquaintance with the types of sharpeners available in the market.
Manual Knife Sharpeners
Before we discuss the operation, advantages, and disadvantages of manual knife sharpeners, we must clarify that manual sharpeners do not necessarily mean stones ONLY. In the category of manual knife sharpeners, we have stones and also those traditionally used manual sharpeners which operate mostly by the use of a guide through which you pull the blade of your knife. Let us discuss both these subcategories in detail.
- Sharpening Stones are perhaps the oldest and most traditional of all knife sharpeners. They give you a thin, perfectly sharp blade (if used correctly) and there is no question on their efficiency. However, the main problem with selecting sharpening stones as a tool is that they require lots of experience. Only professionals are well versed with the perfect techniques of using sharpening stones. If you don’t do it right, you can even damage your knife. Moreover, getting expert at using sharpening stones demand much time and effort. To add to it, these tools are not as quick as the guided manual sharpeners or electric sharpeners. Rather they are the slowest of all knife sharpening tools although they might be the most economical option but at the same time the most difficult ones when it comes to operation.
- The traditionally used manual sharpeners other than sharpening stones are the guided manual sharpeners. These sharpeners have a guide through which you pull your knife’s blade to get the dull blade sharpened at the edges. Although, they are a bit cheaper than the electric knife sharpeners they are way behind the electric sharpeners when it comes to speed, convenience, and accuracy.
Electric Knife Sharpeners
Most of the best electric sharpeners are so convenient in their operation that even a non professional can easily use them to get a perfectly sharp blade. Electric knife sharpeners sharp the edge by taking off some metal from the blunt, dull knife and providing you with the standard angle of 20 degrees. They come in a vast variety depending upon the material these knife sharpeners use to sharpen the knives. These knives might be using diamond, tungsten carbide, or alumina ceramic.
So let’s look at these 4 popular and affordable options;
- Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener
- Chef’s Choice M130 Professional Sharpening Stations
- Presto 08810 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener
- Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener
Advantages of Using an Electric Knife Sharpener
Although the manual sharpeners are an economical choice, electric knife sharpeners clearly have an edge over both the sharpening stones and guided manual sharpeners in lots of areas.
- One of the greatest advantages of electric sharpeners which is unmatched by even the best manual sharpeners is the speed. These are the quickest of all knife sharpeners and sharpening a bunch of dull knives is a matter of minutes with these sharpeners.
- The best electric sharpeners are the most accurate. Irrespective of how dull your knife is and irrespective of its angle, the electric sharpeners would give you a perfect angle for your knife’s edge to make cutting and slicing a fun activity once again.
- Electric sharpeners have an added advantage of convenience. No manual sharpener can match the ease of use offered by the electric sharpeners.
- Since the electric sharpeners do not demand much skill or expertise, they aren’t just to be used by the professionals. Even a layman can get as sharp a knife from these sharpeners as a professional get with a manual one but of course with far more convenience.
The Best Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews
Besides different types of knife sharpeners available in the market, there are also huge varieties and brands within the electric knife sharpeners as well. To help you decide which electric knife sharpener would be the best pick for you, we are giving here the best electric sharpener reviews. Four of the most top rated and most trusted electric knife sharpeners would be discussed along with their distinct features and what makes them superior to others.
The Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool sharpener operates with the abrasive belt sharpening system. It works with a combination of high quality abrasive belts and sharpening guides to give you totally unmatched results. This state of the art electric knife and tool sharpener includes two guides. One is a 50 degree guide designed for sharpening the hunting and outdoor knives. The other one is a 40 degree guide which gives maximum performance with your kitchen knives and other tools with thinner blades.
It is your complete sharpening kit that not only sharpens knives but can also give great results with mower blades, shovels, garden shears, axes, hatches, and scissors. Moreover, it is not restricted to sharpening only straight blades; rather it gives equally great results with curved knives, fillet knives, gut hooks and every other type of blade. The best thing about Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener is that you can get this top rated electric knife sharpener at an incredibly competitive price. It is being available too in the Ken Onion edition model. The impressive 4.7 stars out of 5 speak itself of the outstanding performance and customer satisfaction.
The Chef’s Choice M130 Professional Sharpening Stations is built with a unique electric and manual sharpening system. It is designed to sharpen all kinds of blades including the straight and the serrated blades. It can sharpen kitchen knives, hunting knives, pocket knives, fishing, and many others. This sharpener works with three stages. The first and the last stage are electric while the second is manual. The diamond abrasive used at each stage gives the most professional of results.
The edges sharpened by this high quality abrasive system are resistant to folding. Each sharpening slot of Chef’s Choice M130 Professional Sharpening Stations is equipped with the spring loaded guide which keeps the knives at the perfect position of 20 degree angle. It ensures the quickest and the most convenient operation. It’s easy and quick operation has earned this electric knife sharpener a competitive score of 4.5 stars out of 5. It would cost you maybe around double the price of the Work Sharp. Then again, quality doesn’t come cheap it could be argued.
The Presto 08810 Professional Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener is one of the best when it comes to convenience. Also for the variety of blades that can be sharpened with it. It sharpens kitchen knives giving the professional results. Also gives equally solid results with fillet knives, hunting knives and many others. The 08810 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener is being offered with the interchangeable blade guides. Making sure that the blades are kept in perfect position and a perfect angle to give the perfect results. Moreover, this unique electric knife sharpener features three stage sharpening system to give unmatched results for three different types of blades. Thin sharpening system for fillet and paring knives, thick for sport and chef’s knives and the medium is for your commonly used kitchen knives. It is built to give the sharpness that lasts long. Presto 08810 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener is the third in our list for best electric knife sharpeners and we did an in-depth review here.
Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener works equally well for both the Asian style and European style knives. Its sharpening system consists of three stages; one is the diamond sharpening stage at 15 degrees angle for Asian knives. The second stage is 20 degrees for the European knives. While the third stage can be used for virtually any type of knife. This isn’t reliant on the angle aspect. It automatically keeps the knives in perfect position. This electric knife sharpener is very convenient to use and gives long lasting results.
It uses high quality diamond abrasive ideal for the kitchen knives. Able too to sharpen pocket knives, sports knives, and virtually all serrated blades. The consistent performance of Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener has earned it 4.6 stars out of 5. It would cost you not much in difference than the Chef’sChoice 130 Professional Electric Knife Sharpening Station.
With a huge variety available today, it has become really confusing to select the best electric knife sharpener. With our detailed review, we have tried to help you in shortlisting your preferences. Yes, it is really crucial to make a learned choice. Otherwise not only would your money go to total waste but you won’t get anything except increased frustration. Which electric knife sharpener is the best for you depends totally on your own preferences. So, your budget, extent of use and nature of use. Whether you would be using it for kitchen knives only or for other tools as well. We wish you the most enjoyable cutting and slicing experience with your best electric knife sharpener.